DIGITAL TREASURES : Item Viewer
 
a central & western massachusetts digital library project
Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help   
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Lucinda Hitchcock Sampler, 1821
TitleLucinda Hitchcock Sampler, 1821
Full Size Imagehttp://dlib.cwmars.org/cdm4/images/full_size/Williamsburg/018.jpg
SubjectNash, Lucinda Hitchcock, 1808-1901; Williamsburg (Mass.); Samplers; Embroidery-Massachusetts; Nash, Hiram, 1809-1889; Nash, Eleanor, 1833-1862; Nash, Sophia, 1838-1884; Strong, Rev. Joseph, 1728/9-1803; Mayhew, Thomas, 1767-1843; Hubbard, Jeremiah, 1786-1850
DescriptionA handmade cross-stitch sampler (13 ¾ inches w. x 9 inches h.) on natural linen with dyed wool and silk thread in a modern birdseye maple frame (16 ½ inches w. x 11 ½ inches h.), made in 1821 by Williamsburg resident Lucinda T. Hitchcock, also know as Lucinda Hitchcock Nash. The following is embroidered into the piece: 'Wrought by Lucinda T. Hitchcock of Williamsburgh. - A.D. 1821 being in the 14th year of her age. H. B. In- s s.' The sampler shows the early village center of Williamsburg, Mass., located on what is currently (2011) Village Hill Road. Hitchcock rendered the village buildings at the time in two rows: top row (West side) left to right: Rev. Joseph Strong's house (the parsonage), barns and stables, First Meeting House; bottom row, left to right: Thomas Mayhew's house, store and post office; and the Jeremiah Hubbard tavern. She has added trees and birds and the village is placed under a decorative proscenium arch. Lucinda Hitchcock married Hiram Nash (1809-1889) in1832. Nash served in the Massachusetts State Assembly and State Senate between 1848 and 1861. Lucinda and Hiram had two children, Eleanor (1833-1862) and Sophia (1838-1884), some of whose descendents continued to live in Williamsburg through most of the 20th century. The Nashes were a founding Williamsburg, Mass. family and were continually prominent in town affairs from the 1760s until about 1900. This sampler was given to the Meekins Library in 1898 by Andrew Hitchcock, Lucinda Hitchcock's brother. The accompanying note said: '1898/ This sampler represents the old village of Williamsburg on the Hill were the first meeting house was build together with the parsonage, hotel, Mayhew's store, etc./ Presented to the Meekins Library by Mr. Andrew Hitchcock, a brother of the person who wrought it when fourteen years of age- Mrs. Lucinda, widow of the late Hiram Nash, now ninety-one years old and in good health.' The image of this sampler was used by the Meekins Library as part of the town of Williamsburg's 225th anniversary celebration in 1996. The sampler was stabilized and conserved at the American Textile Museum, Conservation Center in Lowell, Mass., in 1999.
CreatorHitchcock, Lucinda T., 1808-1901
PublisherC/WMARS http://www.cwmars.org
Date1821
Typeimage
Formatimage/jpg
IdentifierMeekins Library-Local History-Objects Collection-Hitchcock Sampler
Languageen-US
RelationPart of the Meekins Library, Williamsburg, Mass., Local History Objects Collection. http://www.meekins-library.org/
RightsPermission to publish the image must be obtained from the Meekins Library by writing to ddarienzo@cwmars.org or Meekins@cwmars.org. Meekins Library, Williamsburg, Mass., must be credited as the original source of the item for all use.
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | Contact: June Stokoe ~ Digital Initiatives ~ C/W MARS  ^ to top ^