DIGITAL TREASURES : Item Viewer
 
a central & western massachusetts digital library project
Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help   
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Men Golfing at Cohasse Golf Club Southbridge Massachusetts
TitleMen Golfing at Cohasse Golf Club Southbridge Massachusetts
Full Size Imagehttp://dlib.cwmars.org/cdm4/images/full_size/southbridge/102.jpg
SubjectGolfers--United States--Massachusetts--Southbridge; Golf--Southbridge (Mass. Southbridge (Mass.)--History; Southbridge (Mass.)--Pictorial works
DescriptionA group of four men are shown playing golf, with a child acting as caddy, looking on. All wear hats or caps. A stone wall bisects the image, where a hill is shown in the background. According to the Southbridge Historical Album 1816-1966 Sesquicentennial "The history of golf in Southbridge tells the story of Cohasse Country Club and dates back to August 16, 1900, when a golfing club was organized by Dr. F.W. Edwards, J.F. Leonard, Ernest Laycock, A.M.Chesley, J.E. Pfieffer, R.D. Rice, and George F. Horter. The original course was on the Roger Lawson estate adjacent to Sandersdale and was leased for $50.00 a year (caddy fees were ten cents a round) until 1911, when the land was sold for building purposes. The club was inactive while various attempts were made to secure other property, but not until 1916 did a definite plan evolve. Channing, Albert, and Cheney Wells asked Donald J. Ross, famed golf course authority, to evaluate construction of a course on the grounds of beautiful Cohasse Farm. On the strength of Mr. Ross' recommendation, the three Wells brothers decided to build a course and started work at once. The caretaker's dwelling became a clubhouse, the powerhouse by the dam was fitted up as the first locker house, and six holes opened for play. Cohasse Country Club was born on July 18, 1918 with an eleven-man board of governors and with Channing M. Wells as president; E. Benjamin Armstrong, vice-president; and Raymond M. Burnham, treasurer. On May 13, 1936, the firmly established Club became a corporation."
CreatorPease, Aaron, H.
PublisherC/WMARS http://www.cwmars.org/
Datepre-1923
Typeimage
Formatimage/jpg
Identifier38136000234839
SourceImage of the A.H. Pease album #3
RelationIs part of the photographic collection of the Jacob Edwards Library, Southbridge, Massachusetts. http://www.jacobedwardslibrary.org
Coverage42 degrees 04' N72 degrees 02' W
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | Contact: June Stokoe ~ Digital Initiatives ~ C/W MARS  ^ to top ^