DIGITAL TREASURES : Item Viewer
 
a central & western massachusetts digital library project
Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help   
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Masonic Building and Ammidown Block Southbridge
TitleMasonic Building and Ammidown Block Southbridge
Full Size Imagehttp://dlib.cwmars.org/cdm4/images/full_size/southbridge/44.jpg
SubjectHistoric buildings--Massachusetts--Southbridge; Historic buildings--New England; Southbridge (Mass.)--history; Historic districts--Massachusetts--Southbridge; Central business districts--Massachusetts--Southbridge
DescriptionThe Ammidown block was the first commercial center in Southbridge. It was also known as the Library block, as it housed the Southbridge Library for thirty years, (in the Ammidown building), prior to the establishment of the Jacob Edwards Library (1914), on the next block east. More recently, the building housed Langevin Jewelers, Ben Bousquet Realty and Appraisers and others. In the early 2000s, the Savers Bank (previously known as the Savers Co-Operative Bank) bought the building and restored and renovated it. Savers Co-Operative Bank was organized in the spring of 1910 with assets of $11, 098.12 to $8, 430, 000.00 in 1960, according to the Southbridge Evening News, April 27, 1960. Previously the bank was located at 15 Elm Street adjacent to the YMCA building. In 1960, the bank proudly advertised that "services have been expanded to include register checks, travelers checks, vacation, tax and Christmas clubs, home improvement loans for present mortgagors of the bank, share loans up to 95% of cash value, and 3% quarterly dividends on savings accounts. Masonic, MACI or C.A. Dresser House building on the left, located at the corner of Central and Main Streets. Both buildings are constructed of brick with stone detail, having dormers in the mansard roofs. The next building is the Boston Branch which is a one story building that acts as a connector to the Ammidown building (1871). The buildings typify the Victorian period. The sides of both tall buildings are visible. Sign for "Boston Branch House Furnishings" "J.C. Gabree House furnishings & Hardware" and "E.M. Phillips & Son Insurance R.M. Burnham" attached to the building. Retractable striped awnings in evidence. Peter Grant & Co. (Grocers, 84 Main Street) is printed onto the awning in front of the Boston Branch.
PublisherC/WMARS http://www.cwmars.org/
Date1917
Typeimage
Formatimage/jpg
Identifier38136000224731
RelationIs part of the photographic collection at Jacob Edwards Library, Southbridge, Massachusetts. http://www.jacobedwardslibrary.org.
Coverage42 degrees 04' N 72 degrees 02' W
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | Contact: June Stokoe ~ Digital Initiatives ~ C/W MARS  ^ to top ^