DIGITAL TREASURES : Item Viewer
 
a central & western massachusetts digital library project
Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help   
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Hamilton Street Southbridge Massachusetts
TitleHamilton Street Southbridge Massachusetts
Full Size Imagehttp://dlib.cwmars.org/cdm4/images/full_size/southbridge/80.jpg
SubjectSouthbridge (Mass.)--History; Historic buildings--Massachusetts--Southbridge; Historic buildings--New England; Central business districts--Massachusetts--Southbridge; Architecture--United States--20th century; Southbridge (Mass.)--Pictorial works
DescriptionView of the residential and commercial buildings on the west side of Hamilton Street, Southbridge, in the early 1900s. John Underwood's residence is on the left, built in 1820's or thereabouts. Mr Underwood was a blacksmith. According to John O. Curtis "It was probably a rather sophisticated town house, being built of brick with brick chimneys. Of the original facade there remains visible the gable, which has a lunette window. This end is planked with smooth sheathing which gives a feeling suggestive of masonry. It must have been a very imposing residence. A sketch on a map of 1870, suggests that it may have been a duplex in form." A flat belt sign announces the name of the business: D.M. Rosenthal for David M. Rosenthal, also known as Rosenthal Brothers, a ladies' and gents' outfitters, at 11, Hamilton Street. According to the Southbridge Press, Saturday, July 2, 1904 "The firm of Rosenthal Bros. has secured a splendid reputation in this line. The business was started three years ago by Messrs. D. M. and J. Rosenthal and was then located in a small store across the street from their present location, increasing trade compelling them to seek larger quarters in September, 1902. They have secured a large and constantly increasing patronage through strict attention to business and a careful study of the wants and interests of customers. Great attention is paid to keeping the stock up to the latest and best things in the market, all those novelties produced each season finding a place among it as soon as introduced. The stock is very large and each department is noted for its variety and standard quality, as well as for the moderate prices at which goods are sold. The assortment includes clothing of all kinds for ladies and men, besides a complete line of dry goods and notions, the stock being up to every requirement of the best trade. The Messrs. Rosenthal have fully demonstrated that straight forward methods of transacting business are best for the dealer and the purchaser, and the ever increasing popularity of their house attests appreciation of their mode of dealing." In the three story clapboard building a sign announces a dentist operating on the second floor. The corner of a two story dwelling house is just visible on the right. There are two trees in sight, in this winter scene. Electricity poles run parallel to the sidewalk raised from the dirt road.
CreatorPease, Aaron H.
PublisherC/WMARS http://www.cwmars.org/
Datepre-1903
Typeimage
Formatimage/jpg
Identifier38136000234615
SourceImage from page 37 of the A.H. Pease album #2, dated June 6th, 1903
RelationIs part of the photographic collection of the Jacob Edwards Library, Southbridge, Massachusetts. http://www.jacobedwardslibrary.org
Coverage42 degrees 04' N72 degrees 02' W
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | Contact: June Stokoe ~ Digital Initiatives ~ C/W MARS  ^ to top ^