DIGITAL TREASURES : Item Viewer
 
a central & western massachusetts digital library project
Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help   
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Facts about the, Buckland Church Library, 1891 journal, Buckland, Mass.
TitleFacts about the, Buckland Church Library, 1891 journal, Buckland, Mass.
Full Size Imagehttp://dlib.cwmars.org/cdm4/images/full_size/Buckland/36.jpg
SubjectLibrary buildings--Massachusetts--Buckland; Dedication services; Congregational Church (Buckland, Mass.); Methodist Church in Massachusetts; Buckland (Mass.)
DescriptionThe first page of a journal book at the Buckland Public Library is assumed to have been written at the time of the Library's dedication, July 4, 1891, probably by the first Librarian, Clara Bement. This is substantiated by a letter addressed to her by Frederic E. Wells of Greenfield , Mass., dated August 22, 1891. Mr. Wells is responding to a request by Miss Bement for names of those in his party who attended the dedication. The following pages of the journal include a list of some of those present at the dedication, as well as additional pages dated August 13, 1891 through the year 1907, containing lists of visitors and their addresses. There are local names listed with distant addresses, allowing one to assume those individuals were still interested in their home town. The journal also contains three pages of signatures titled, Local People that use the Library and Visitors, dated July 3, 1956 through August 21, 1956, and entries on May 31, 1960. The final page, dated June 2, 1960, contains a list of visitors. There is a note at the top of the page, Please Sign. These people attended a meeting of the Connecticut Valley Library Club. This is documented by a letter dated June 9, 1960 found in the journal addressed to Mrs. Orta M. Kenny, Librarian. It is a thank you note from the officers and members of the Pioneer Valley Library Club to Mrs. Kenny, the Trustees, Reverend Cummings, and the Ladies Club of the Mary Lyon Church, for the wonderful job you all did in helping to make the June 2 meeting such a great success. The letter was written by Byron N. Scott of Lyonsville, Mass.
TranscriptFacts about the Buckland Church Library The desirability of expanding the Sunday school Library into a library adapted to the needs of the whole community and with a building of its own had been discussed for several years, and the first step toward establishing it was taken by LeBaron Dutton Ruddock, who made his will in February 1889 giving one thousand Dollars to the church Library the income to be used for its objects. In consequence of his departure from this life soon after that date his generous provision for this cherished project was likely to become available in the year 1890. Accordingly in 1890 two sermons were preached by the pastor in the Congregational Church advocating immediate action, and offering a collection of 2, 000 selected books, and aid in erecting a brick building. Subscription papers were circulated during February, and it was decided to undertake the work. The Methodist Church property was purchased in May for $375 and the building was sold to the Public Hall Association for $100 and removed by the Association to the rear of the Congregational Church. The erection of the Library building was begun in July and completed in December 1890. The first books were given out from the Library Jan. 17, 1891. The Library was publicly dedicated July 4, 1891 addresses being made by Emory C. Davis, of Northampton; George D. Crittenden; Hon. Wm. A Clark Jr of Lynn; Hon. Elihu B. Hayes, of Lynn; Frederic Howes of Ashfield; Miss M. Louise Hodges; and Sidney E. Bridgeman of Northampton and E.P. Hitchcock of Greenfield. Prayer was offered by Revs Ashley and Pease. Letters were received from Rev. Dr. T.H. Hawks of Springfield, Pres. M.E. Gates of Amherst, Hon. C.B, Tillinghast the State Librarian, Rev E. B. Hillard of Conway and many others. The dedication address was by Rev. A.C. Hodges in the library. The other addresses were in the church.
CreatorBement, Clara, librarian
PublisherC/WMARS http://www.cwmars.org
Date1891-1960
TypeText
Formatimage/jpg
Identifier2009-L007
SourceLibrary Journal
Languageen-US
RelationFrom the archives of the Buckland Public Library, Inc., 30 Upper Street, P.O. Box 149, Buckland MA 01338, www.bucklandpubliclibrary.org
Coverage42.60 N, 72.77 W
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | Contact: June Stokoe ~ Digital Initiatives ~ C/W MARS  ^ to top ^